High school is a great time to explore various career possibilities to find out whether or not you are interested for the long term. Here are six steps to kick off your exploration:
- Find out what interests you. You’ll be amazed by how many careers there are out there, and one of them probably fits in with one of your favorite things to do or learn about. Just doing a quick online search is a great way to get started exploring.
- Take career-related courses. UNHS offers several courses that can give you an idea of what might be best for you. These include:
- Find someone to mentor you. Whether or not you already know what you’d like to do, solicit advice from adult mentors such as teachers, coaches or counselors. They can be great assets to you in terms of guidance and possibly become references. Talk to them about your interests and ask them how they came to do what they do. If you are one of the lucky ones who has a career in mind, don’t be shy! Reach out to someone in the field you’re interested in and start talking to them about what they like about their profession, what education they think is important and what types of internships they would suggest.
- Experiment with internships or volunteer work. The best way to find out if you truly like something is to try it, and a great time to try it is now! For example, if you are thinking about becoming a lawyer, reach out to a local law firm to see if you can help with administrative work.
- Research. Learn as much as you can about the career you’re interested in and the field in general. The more you know about it, the more confident you will be when talking to adults in the field.
- Learn how to network. In today’s world networking is extremely important. Start learning the best ways to reach out and communicate with professionals. If you aren’t quite sure what to say or do, don’t be afraid to ask your parents or educators for advice.